Cycling with Kids: A Parenting Masterclass.

bike

Cycling is pretty much the most virtuous thing you can teach kids to do, I reckon, short of treating leprosy.

It’s environmentally friendly, inexpensive, good exercise, and it’s fun.

So a couple of months back, I made the decision that I’d buy myself a bike, so that Flea and I could go riding together.

My goal was to encourage Flea to ride her bike more regularly, hopefully becoming more confident in the process. And of course, with me by her side, I was able to introduce Flea to riding her bike on the road, and all that comes with it (aside from my heart attacks and regular cries of “STAY LEFT!”)

I have to say, it’s gone pretty well.

It helps that my bike helps me pretend that I’m Miss Marple. All I need is a basket and a casually arranged bunch of flowers. And maybe some knitting.

Anyway, this weekend, we were getting our bikes ready to go for a bike ride, when Flea complained that her bike wouldn’t move.

“Let me have a look,” I scoffed, assuming Flea was just being a bit weedy.

Nope. The rear brake appeared to be locked on, and the bike refused to move.

Argh.

I turned the bike upside down and using a screwdriver, tried to loosen the brake cable. No dice.

Next, I spent a good 20 minutes hunting down a set of Allen keys so I could try and loosen the brake pad.

I loosened everything that could be loosened, but no effect. I tightened everything back up. Brake still refused to budge.

Flea looked sad.

I suggested she could ride the spare bike in our garden, that used to belong to Flea’s cousin, but apparently it’s “too small” for Flea, which is just my child’s code for “too pink” if you ask me.

Flea looked more sad.

“Okay, well, my bike is due a service, so let’s take both bikes to the repair shop and we’ll get yours sorted at the same time.”

Flea looked hopeful.

I have to say that getting two bikes into the boot of even a large car is pretty challenging. It involved a fair degree of lifting and panting and, “What do you mean, it’s too heavy? No you CAN’T JUST DROP IT!”

But that’s nothing compared to getting them both out at the other end, when the two bikes’ pedals and chains have mingled in a way that would put 50 Shades characters to shame.

Fifteen minutes and several scraped knuckles later, I managed to manoeuvre two bikes out of the car, and up the stairs at Halfords, where I presented them to the bike guy. I explained the problem with Flea’s bike, and told him all the things I’d tried adjusting, to no avail.

He nodded.

And then he took hold of the handlebars and rotated them through 360 degrees.

Hey presto, working brakes.

I did what any other parent would do in such circumstances of course.

I looked at my small child and said, “Oh honestly, Flea, that’s the FIRST thing I told you to try.”

I’m pretty sure he bought it.

1. 24th February 2015 / 1:27 pm

Sally, I agree with you about the freedom cycling gives. We’ve been loving our daily commute to school and back on our bikes and have missed it miserably since my bike has been in for repair.
    If you are going out more with bikes you may consider getting a towbar bike rack: they are fantastic! We got FIL’s hand-me-down and I love how easy it is to transport our bikes now. No more lifting, maneuvering, taking wheels off, getting greasy from untangling the tangled bikes accompanied by 50 shades of cursing.
    Enjoy your next ride!
    Monika @mumonthebrink recently posted..Moments- Little Green WelliesMy Profile

• 25th February 2015 / 9:41 am

Actually, I did try and buy one in Halfords but there were no sales assistants to help me decide which one would fit our car, so I gave up after 20 minutes.

2. Nikki
    24th February 2015 / 2:31 pm

Priceless. Did she not give you away? My two would have done. Ha.

• 25th February 2015 / 9:41 am

Pfft. She’s a trooper, my Flea.

• Nikki
        25th February 2015 / 12:15 pm

Sucker more like lol. The glee my two would have had grassing me up.

3. teacuptoria
    24th February 2015 / 3:20 pm

What a great post. I have had the exact problem before. Bike maintenance just isn’t my forte and when you’re a single parent (with bikes) you feel you should at least have a go. Luckily my sister used to be around to help and she was a keen cyclist so she’d always take a look and normally fix it. Failing that our lovely local bike shop would. My son and I were on our bikes yesterday too, for the first time in ages. They had been stored at a friends house so we had to go and collect them in the car (cue your pedal/chain tangle nightmare). Once we had them out I discovered my son’s tyres were not as inflated as they should have been. *sigh*. By this point we were all ready to go and I didn’t want to see the ‘sad face’ so we risked it for a biscuit. Luckily we made it to the local park and back without any disasters! I can’t wait for summer and taking a picnic out along the bike trail. Happy biking! xx

• 25th February 2015 / 9:41 am

Flat tyres are the worst – I can never get the pump working properly.

• 25th February 2015 / 9:40 am

There had to be a reason!

• 25th February 2015 / 9:40 am

Ah, we gave them life, it’s the least they can do.

4. 24th February 2015 / 9:08 pm

Would it make you feel better that our eldest complained his bike wasn’t right for about 9mths (with us scoffing at him each and every time he whinged) until he took it to a friends house.
    Said friend’s Dad is a bit of a biker. He took one look and asked eldest in mild and polite tones if he just preferred riding his bike with the handlebar attached backwards…

*cough*

• 25th February 2015 / 9:40 am

Actually, yes, that does make me feel considerably better.

• 25th February 2015 / 9:40 am

Yes, it is, it was my Christmas present to me. I love it 🙂

5. 24th February 2015 / 10:41 pm

Oh this made me laugh (sorry), I’m the biggest wimp and cycle on the pavements, I’m that person.
    HonestMum recently posted..Why I’m Not a SuperwomanMy Profile

• 25th February 2015 / 9:39 am

Oh me too, if the road’s too busy.

6. 3rd March 2015 / 10:02 am

Haha, funny tale, I’m sure we can all relate to similar. I love cycling but we do need to teach our youngest (5) hopefully will be doing so as the weather improves this year.
    When the Dust Settles recently posted..Farewell to The PointMy Profile

7. 18th March 2015 / 1:05 pm

My eldest has finally started riding his bike and is now asking for us to go on a bike ride together! My excuse at the moment is that I have flat tyres and what would we do with the youngest who doesn’t ride a bike yet?….Maybe I should just get it sorted and head to a country park or somewhere for our first time…roads scare me too much!
    Carly recently posted..Get Framing with Frame Again – ReviewMy Profile

8. 28th March 2015 / 10:39 pm

I love the bicycle ! I would need to have a basket on it though ! it is my dream to have a bicycle with a basket
    Ninjacat recently posted..The Chicken WhispererMy Profile

• 31st March 2015 / 10:24 am

Don’t even get me started on the drama that is the basket.