10 Stupid Things Dog Owners Do.

teddy

It’s 7am.

It’s 7am, and I’m standing outside in my Batman jammies (don’t judge) and a hoodie, with my arms stuck out to the sides, forming a human umbrella over the dog.

What has my life come to?

I mean, it made sense at the time. The puppy needed to go outside (consistency being the key to toilet training) and it was hailing – and the puppy was scared of hail. But still. It’s ludicrous.

As the owner of a 13-week-old puppy, I am doing things that I cannot possibly justify to myself.

Like…

1. Being a human umbrella at 7am in a hailstorm (see above)
  2. Talking to the dog like it’s a real person.
  3. Plucking half-chewed pieces of food from an animal’s mouth to check it’s not a choking hazard.
  4. Cooking organic chicken breast and chopping it up finely for the dog because, “She’s not feeling very well”. Then making a cheese sandwich for my own lunch.
  5. Cleaning unspeakable matter from the dog’s rear end because she’s not able to clean herself properly yet, and it’s stuck in the fur.
  6. Allowing the puppy to eat my shoes, while I’m wearing them, because, heck, at least she’s being quiet.
  7. Talking to strangers on the street when walking the dog because, apparently, that’s what Dog People do.
  8. Carrying a muddy, slobbering dog home for the last few minutes of a walk because she’s too tired, and has staged a lie-down protest.
  9. Stopping bringing the post in, if it’s in boxes or Jiffy envelopes, because Teddy barks at them. Same applies to shopping baskets on the kitchen counters.
  10. Sewing up holes in Teddy’s favourite teddies. Especially Mr Snuggles. So that Teddy can turn psycho and turn him into shredded fluff. Again.

So I’m prepared to admit that, maybe, at some point in the future, I could well become the sort of person who will buy the dog version of Glossybox for little Teddy. Even if it’s just at Christmas. Or her birthday. Or, you know, if she deserves a little treat. Oh, anytime, basically.

Barkbeats is a monthly subscription box for dogs. It comes in various versions, tailored to different dog sizes, and this month we tried out the version for small dogs.

For £14.95 a month, Barkbeats will send you a cardboard box filled with treats, toys and grooming products for your dog.

It’s a nice idea but I suspect its usefulness depends on how many of these kind of products you go through – I’m not sure we’d go through more than one packet of dog treats per month, and with a small dog who will need to be professionally groomed anyway, I’m interested to see how much dog shampoo we use (especially because, as a Westie, Teddy is prone to skin allergies).

That said, the box contents were fantastic quality and I’m sure worth more than the £15 or so the box cost. It’s nice that it wasn’t sample sizes, either, and I love that 10% of the proceeds go to charity – it’s nice to feel you’re doing something for other animals while you’re treating your own.

What do you reckon? Would you pamper your pooch with a monthly gift box?

If you’d like to get a closer look at our Barkbeats box, you can see Flea (and Teddy) unwrapping ours below, complete with the cutest puppy yawn at about 10 seconds in…

1. Mrs TeePot
    21st February 2015 / 4:33 pm

How grown up is Flea! And how adorable is Teddy! I love puppy yawns, our youngest is over 1 year now and still has those cute pup yawns, I must try and catch one on camera!
    I’m not sure I’d get a box of goodies for my dogs though, I’m a bit of a control freak and like to pick myself what they’re getting, I suppose it’s a good idea for a first time dog owner with a puppy, a way to be introduced to the products available and find out what your pooch likes.

• 23rd February 2015 / 9:32 am

Puppy yawns are the best. Fact.

2. 22nd February 2015 / 3:52 pm

What an adorable photo! Isabelle is dying after a puppy. I have to admit I am not great with animals, but also know they are fab for children, so might have to give in…one day, now we still have a little puppy called Olivia, and that is so much work and entertainment, enough for me 😉
    Mirka Moore @Fitness4Mamas recently posted..The Gallery: ColourMy Profile

• 23rd February 2015 / 9:32 am

They are adorable and well worth the trouble, I promise.

3. 22nd February 2015 / 8:11 pm

My mother in law has a dog and is exactly like this! I’d love a dog in the future but have two cats at the moment, not sure they’d get along! x

• 23rd February 2015 / 9:31 am

It’s got to be the right time, they’re a big time commitment.

4. 22nd February 2015 / 11:30 pm

wow, what an adorable puppy, but I feel your pain, we have a golden retriever who as a puppy I did the strangest things for…come to think of it, I still do!! They grow up pretty fast though so it’s a great idea to log the puppy days on film :o)
    Donna recently posted..Is a dog the right pet for your family?My Profile

• 23rd February 2015 / 9:31 am

Good tip, I’m already looking back at pics and thinking, “I can’t believe she was that small!”

5. 23rd February 2015 / 3:06 pm

You’ll also fail to recognise those fellow dog-walkers if you see them without their dog. Happens to me all the time.
    I like the idea of Barkbox, but it seems expensive for a monthly subscription. It would be a good one-off present to send to new dog owners though.
    Jean (notsupermum) recently posted..A one-pot recipe ~ chicken jambalayaMy Profile

6. Scrawford
    5th March 2015 / 5:12 pm

Lol! These are all so completely true!

7. 7th May 2015 / 9:36 am

I love this post! Although LONG past the puppy stage with 9 and 10 year old dogs it brings back lots of lovely memories.
    I can reassure you that you will still do completely BONKERS things for Teddy for the next decade and more. Our terrier is currently struggling with certain toilet issues and I kid you not we are having to ASSIST with his daily movements, I’ll save you the details. I recently had a very, very concerned look from a cyclist who caught us in the act.

Anyway enjoy it as they grow so very fast and before you know it will be a smelly, grey, creaks when they stand up dog but you wouldn’t live a day without them!
    Jennifer Hill recently posted..An Open Letter to the Woman Struggling to Conceive…My Profile

8. Fahima21
    19th May 2015 / 4:40 pm

It’s nice to see good thing