Little Lego Makers

A few weeks ago, I wrote about our frustration when we went out to buy some LEGO and couldn’t find a single box of LEGO that wasn’t themed.

It’s not that we don’t love the licensed sets of LEGO – sometimes we do – but, inspired by the LEGO movie, Flea wanted to build her own LEGO creation, to not just follow instructions, but to use her imagination to create something amazing.

Thankfully, the rather brilliant people at LEGO saw my post and sent Flea a huge box of LEGO bricks. She was a bit pleased.

The photo at the top of this post is Flea’s LEGO mansion, complete with a not-entirely-to-scale LEGO basketball field (not seen) and a swimming pool, complete with diving board. There’s also a double-decker throne, and a widescreen TV. My kid dreams BIG. It’s not quite finished yet, but I already think it’s brilliant.

Flea’s probably as proud of this as she has been of the various Chima, Harry Potter and other sets we’ve assembled, and these days, she can sit absorbed for an entire evening, just inventing her own LEGO creations.

When we were struggling to find LEGO, I wondered if other families loved making LEGO creations from scratch as much as we do.

Some of my favourite bloggers shared pictures of their own LEGO makers’ creations with me. And they’re fantastic, aren’t they? I got way too many LEGO creations to include in one post, so I think I’ll do another round-up of Flea’s creations from our new set and I’m happy to include creations from other blogger kids – if you’d like to share a pic of a great LEGO creation, I’d love to feature it – just email me a nice picture with your blog name so I can credit you!

So – if our kids are so great at being little LEGO makers, why is it so hard to find these sort of LEGO sets? Come on retailers, please can we start seeing more of these sets in mainstream toy stores, rather than having to hunt them down or buy them direct?Β

LEGO collage With thanks to (1) Seasider in the City (2) Mum in the Madhouse (3) The Brick Castle (4) Fashion Mommy (5)Β The Brick CastleΒ (6) RedPeffer (7) VeViVos (8) Raisie Bay (9) In the PlayroomΒ

1. 17th March 2014 / 10:46 am

Totally agree. That’s what LEGO used to be all about – creating your own designs. Now it’s just like a 3D jigsaw puzzle.
    Midlife Singlemum recently posted..Fluent In Three MonthsMy Profile

• 18th March 2014 / 11:54 pm

I love the creativity of free LEGO play. It’s what mornings were invented for!

• 18th March 2014 / 11:54 pm

My brothers and I used to make a lot of LEGO houses, it was great to see Flea doing the same πŸ™‚ Flea loved your space shuttle, too!

• 18th March 2014 / 11:55 pm

Joe’s model was fantastic! I agree completely, LEGO is a fantastic toy for imagination πŸ™‚

2. 17th March 2014 / 1:26 pm

Mansions are the best! We don’t actually have many sets ( I think the girls had one each last year) but what we do have is a huge box of bricks that we have been collecting for 20+ years. The Little Man is not yet 4 (the recommended age) but he’s given up his duplo and loves the lego box already. Thanks for including our house the girls had loads of fun building that together.
    Anne recently posted..Making Me ProudMy Profile

• 18th March 2014 / 11:55 pm

Wow – 20 years worth of LEGO?? That’s mind blowing. Am completely jealous.

3. 17th March 2014 / 2:48 pm

Thanks for including our design Sally. I love that mansion that Flea built – Grace is apparently doing something similar during golden time at school πŸ™‚ I used to love building lego houses when I was small and particularly loved using the clear bricks for the windows!
    Verily Victoria Vocalises recently posted..My Quest for Health and Fitness – the second week.My Profile

• 18th March 2014 / 11:56 pm

I remember windows, too – and sloping tiles for the roof. Ah, happy memories πŸ™‚

4. 17th March 2014 / 4:28 pm

Thanks for including our home for Hiccup. I love the mansion, it looks brilliant. And I agree totally with you about the difficulty in finding non themed Lego sets (which are great, but not so good for letting imaginations flow). In fact, we too have found exactly the sane issue that you have so we ended up digging out my old Lego pieces and using them!
    Iona@Redpeffer recently posted..How not to do non messy playMy Profile

• 18th March 2014 / 11:56 pm

The old LEGO seems to be the best but as the youngest in the family, ours was taken by my eldest brother, so I’m thrilled LEGO sent us that new box – it’s brilliant!

5. 17th March 2014 / 6:19 pm

Thank you for including my boys’ creations – they’re very proud. My 3 year old has been redeveloping his spaceship for weeks now, it spends most of the time at the end of his bed – it’s got a Star Wars bit and a helicopter bit and a part from a ship among others πŸ˜€
    We bought two of those boxes from ASDA online reduced to Β£15 each, which is an excellent price for such as huge tub of bricks and bits. I look forward to seeing exactly what type of mansion Flea ends up with now! πŸ™‚
    Jenny @ The Brick Castle recently posted..The LEGO Movie ~ MetalBeard’s Sea Cow 70810My Profile

• 18th March 2014 / 11:57 pm

That’s a top bargain and your boys put their LEGO to great use πŸ™‚ Thanks for sending us the pic, Flea’s loved looking at them all.

6. 17th March 2014 / 6:33 pm

Oh! Where on earth can I buy those?!! GG is totally fed up with pink these days and the LEGO friends isn’t doing it for her any more. She just wants to build!!!!!
    Actually Mummy… recently posted..Lights, movement, flamenco! 365 #11My Profile

7. 17th March 2014 / 7:45 pm

I always wanted a proper set of lego or Meccano, I dislike the mostly ready built models, it takes away the pleasure of it.

• 18th March 2014 / 11:59 pm

I think they’re fun sometimes – Flea really enjoys LEGO Chima and we had great fun with the Christmas village set, and the vintage VW camper van. But this really is an entirely different sort of play, much more light-hearted and creative πŸ™‚

8. 19th March 2014 / 10:10 am

You cant beat building your own creations with Lego, I know my son loves his box of my 1970’s retro bricks!!
    Tina Mansfield recently posted..OXO Flip and FoldMy Profile