The one about the new bracket.

True story: when I was younger, I was convinced, properly, one thousand percent confident, that I’d die before I was 21.

It made sense at the time. I’m quite an imaginative person, and I literally couldn’t imagine myself being THAT old.

It’s fair to say I don’t deal with ageing gracefully.

It started around 28. I remember spending that birthday in a foul mood because everyone knows that 28 means “late 20s”.

29 was the last year of my 20s. That was a bitter blow to take.

Turning 30 was awful. It was a week or so before my wedding (which, unfortunately, coincided with a miscarriage) so I was stressed and ill, depressed about the prospect of having to wear a dress.. and on top of that I was officially OLD.

Turning 31 was even worse because at 31 you’re “in” your 30s. It’s all downhill from there. And to add insult to injury, I was in labour.

I remember my Mum and my husband getting permission from the consultant to take me into Brighton for lunch, but halfway down the corridor my waters broke and I couldn’t stop crying because, “Everyone’s going to think I just peed myself because I’m so bloody OLD, and I can’t even go out on my birthday.”

So you can imagine just how delighted I was to log in to the online booking system at my GP surgery today to find that in a matter of months, I’ll be able to join a screening programme where the surgery will do some tests to assess my risk of coronary heart disease. It’s offered to everyone in the surgery aged between 40 and 70.

Awesome.

Later this year, I’m going to be in the same age bracket as a 70 year old.

*HAPPY FACE*

happy face

Being 40 sucks. And no amount of borderline misogynistic Judd Apatow movies will convince me otherwise.

That 20/20 vision? Yeah, you’ll probably lose that. Say hello to back pain and “niggles”. Old people always have niggles, don’t they?

As for being unmarried in your 30s, you can always aim for an air of “just choosing not to, thanks”. But fast-forward to your 40s, and everyone suspects there’s a REASON why you’re not getting hitched, and it’s only a matter of time before someone buys you a cat. EXCEPT MY BLOODY CAT LEFT HOME, didn’t it?

I hate cats.

So I have done the only sensible thing.

I’ve booked two flights to San Francisco for a week or so before my birthday, arranged a completely inappropriate car to drive down the West Coast of America as far as San Diego, and booked us in for a paddle boarding lesson on Santa Monica beach for my birthday.

What do you mean, mid-life crisis?

Pics courtesy of Shutterstock

Sally is a full-time blogger and founder of the HIBS100, Foodies100 and Tots100 - an online community of more than 15,000 UK bloggers. She is also a busy single Mum to Flea, the world's coolest eight year old.

Get the latest posts direct to your inbox

• says

So much to say, a few things we loved…..
        Meatball sandwiches at Mario’s cigar bar in SF
        Honey Honey for breakfast in SF
        Santa Cruz Boardwalk
        Big Sur River Inn
        Monterey Bay Aquarium
        Hearst Castle
        A mooch around chocolate box Carmel
        La Super Rica and the Cajun Kitchen to eat in Santa Barbara
        Apple Doughnuts at the Solvang Restaurant
        Venice Beach at sunset
        I want to go back now!!
        Katie recently posted..Ode to the summer bornMy Profile

• says

I really do have my health (as far as I know), an interesting job (some days) and a gorgeous daughter (unquestionably). Why do you ask?

Or if you’re asking do I really feel very sad about the idea of having the amazing gift that is life, and being one big step nearer to leaving it all behind when I die, then… yeah. One of my brothers died at 27, another at 40. Life’s short. And days that remind me of that make me sad, in some ways. Is is really so surprising? Like, really?

1. Georgie Harrow says

Haha I love this post! Turning 30 was the worst one for me – GREAT idea booking that holiday though!! I’ve started making a bucket list of things I want to do before I hit the even scarier 50 number – I would recommend, then when we get there it hopefully won’t seem as bad.

2. says

I had a similar melt down about my 30th and made my husband take me to Las Vegas for the week so that at least I could be 30 and fabulous for a few days!

40 is officially a cool age to be though, don’t all the papers say that (yuck), I reckon an awesome holiday is by far the only way to celebrate as is lying profusely about how old you are at every opportunity ;)

3. says

Great post, and what a fantastic way to spend your birthday. I’ll have to plan something for next year because I’ve go a ‘big one’ coming up and if you think 40 is old, just think how I feel! I remember thinking I was real old as I approached my 40s, but then I decided that it was no age and went and had 3 kids!!!
    Anne recently posted..Kids In The Kitchen – QuesadillasMy Profile

4. says

I actually loved turning 30 and celebrating it. I felt much more confident than in my twenties. But now, at 34, it’s beginning to feel like old age is just around the corner…

5. says

That sounds absolutely perfect! That age bracket thing bothers me a lot these days – I’m now in the 46-55 box on questionnaires and that is not nice! However, whilst I’ll admit that 40 does seem unpleasant, 47 is awesome – I’m totally past caring any more, especially about what anyone else thinks, which means all sorts of fun…
    Actually Mummy… recently posted..GG’s New Year’s ResolutionsMy Profile

6. says

I think that all sounds totally reasonable. I don’t have a problem with age exactly (helped by the fact that I basically look like a child) but the stuff that comes with it can hurt. I was thinking just last night for example, that although I think seven men in my life time have told me that they love me, NOT ONE has ever proposed. What does that even mean?? That’s I’m lovable, but you wouldn’t want any sort of legal obligation?? Where they all lying?? (I suspect so in several cases…)

It’s a bit depressing though. I sort of imagined I would get to this age and have had to turn down countless proposals.

*sad face*
    Slummy single mummy recently posted..The idiot’s guide to the HMV music appMy Profile

• says

Proposals aren’t my problem (although there are many, many others) – I just don’t want to get married again or cohabit while Flea is young. But being decrepit just carries with it the stigma of “that batty old spinster with the cats” somehow. A bad proposal is just as bad as none at all. I mean – it’s just awkward. Because there’s no coming back from a ‘no’, is there?

On the upside, once you’re 40 I bet people stop asking if you want another baby…