What does Christmas mean to you?

I’ve been tagged by my friend Becky over at Baby Budgeting, who asks, “What does Christmas mean to you?

Hmm. The idea is to sum up what Christmas is all about, in your family.

But only in one paragraph, which is a challenge. I’m naturally chatty, let’s face it.

But here’s what I came up with:

The Christmas I see in books and on TV always seems to involve noisy extended family, boozy aunts and dotty grandparents sitting down to a family meal for 25. Our family is small. My grandparents died many years ago. I used to have three brothers, but now have only one. I’m divorced, so there are no in-laws, and Flea’s an only child. There’s no office party when you work from home, and most of my friends live far away. Our Christmas is small and quiet, and what I remember most are the moments Flea and I spend in church, on Christmas Eve, where I squeeze her hand, and give a moment’s thanks  for the absolutely ordinary, extraordinary life we lead. Does it measure up? I’m not sure. But it fits us perfectly.

That’s what Christmas means to us. How about you?

And because I’ve been told to and I’m nothing if not compliant, I’m tagging:

Northern Mum

Squidgyboo

Becky Ar-Blog

Sally is a full-time blogger and founder of the HIBS100, Foodies100 and Tots100 - an online community of more than 15,000 UK bloggers. She is also a busy single Mum to Flea, the world's coolest eight year old.

Share:

• 21st December 2012 / 9:28 am

Thanks Becky 🙂

• 21st December 2012 / 9:29 am

Absolutely, hope you have a wonderful break, and thanks for commenting this year 🙂

1. Nikki
    18th December 2012 / 6:49 pm

Hi Sally, Your Christmas sounds wonderful 🙂

I don’t have a blog so have nowhere to post my paragraph but here:

“Christmas to us is pretty chaotic. Hubbie is in Round Table so much of our time is spent frantically organising the Santa float and collecting money for local charities by going door to door with the big man himself plus our two children who love it. The most special night is the collection on Christmas eve which starts after the Christingle service we all (my folks, hubbie’s folks plus us and the kids) go to. We sing carols as loudly as we can whilst the kids eat the sweets off the orange before it’s finished! After which we get the house ready for Santa, the kids to bed and Rich and I sneakout for the final collection. Christmas to us is a time for doing something for others and making a difference. We hope the kids feel the same. xx

• 21st December 2012 / 9:29 am

I love the Christingle service, it’s the quintessential Christmas moment, isn’t it? Hope you have a lovely break Nikki x

2. purplemum
    18th December 2012 / 8:33 pm

That’s wonderful. I am also thankful for my ordinary, extraordinary life.

• 21st December 2012 / 9:30 am

Isn’t it? Every so often I stop and just think, wow, we have a lot of fun, really.

• 21st December 2012 / 9:30 am

Thanks Sarah, hope you have a wonderful Christmas break.

3. Becky Arber
    20th December 2012 / 10:00 pm

Sounds perfect!

• 21st December 2012 / 9:30 am

Well there’s the odd *teeny* little disaster usually, but you’d expect nothing less from us, I’m sure.

4. Pingback: What does Christmas mean to You? | The Ar-blog