That was the summer that was…

Summer hols

It’s been a brilliant summer. Our best in years.

We kicked off with a quick trip to Italy, a Glee Live concert, a long weekend in Cornwall, and then a week in North Devon. Then we headed down to Brighton, our old stomping ground for a couple of weeks, and then there was a trip to London to stay at the Royal Garden Hotel for some cooking classes, before whizzing over to Heathrow Airport for an amazing behind the scenes tour. Lastly, we headed off to France for the last week of the holidays, where we had a brilliant time, courtesy of Keycamp.

Despite all the travelling our summer has been pretty low key. Mostly, we’ve spent our time swimming, building sandcastles and introducing the world of surfing to new levels of under-achievement. There have been dozens of picnics and walks and lazy afternoons on the beach.

So perhaps it’s not surprising that my brown, slightly dishevelled daughter looked positively shell-shocked at being forced back into a school uniform this morning after almost nine weeks of freedom.

School 003
Still, I’m sure we will both be fine. You’ll be relieved to know we slipped straight back into our old routine this morning of getting up a bit too late, eating breakfast from a cup in the car (once I’d found the spare car keys, having mislaid the actual car keys somewhere between 8pm last night and 8am this morning) and arriving at school having forgotten something crucial (Flea’s PE kit) and with no idea of where Flea's new classroom actually was.

And yes, there is a button missing on her blazer, well done to those who spotted that. The way I didn't – until 8.45am this morning.

I’ll admit it, though. I’m a bit relieved to get back to the school routine. Trying to fit what amounts to three different jobs into your day when you’re working from home and caring for a six-year-old has been a character building experience this summer, to say the least.

I’m full of good intentions about how organised I’m going to be now I’ve got all this time – no more starting work at 8pm at night, no more trying to answer emails from a beach, no more missing deadlines or forgetting to send contracts to clients. And now I look at that picture a bit more closely, I really must remember to brush Flea’s hair before we go to school.

Anyone else full of new school year resolutions this week?

1. 7th September 2011 / 9:57 am

She looks adorable and broen as a button too. The boys missed Flea this summer.

2. 7th September 2011 / 10:45 am

I sent my daughter to nursery in the car this morning eating cheerios out of a plastic bag. Phew, feel better after reading your post!!

3. 7th September 2011 / 11:22 am

Aww, she still looks very cute 😉
    If anyone says anything, it was very windy on your street this morning

4. 7th September 2011 / 11:23 am

Mine had buttons missing on their first day too. I have resolved to buy some jumpers for winter.

5. Sara
    7th September 2011 / 12:43 pm

No good intentions unless you count a nap lol. Just wanted to say you have one beautiful daughter

6. 7th September 2011 / 4:01 pm

Wishing you both a happy. productive and successful school year. xx

7. 7th September 2011 / 6:15 pm

At least she actually had the full uniform on – my two are jumperless as no one told me you had to order your jumpers two weeks in advance. How was I to know you couldn’t buy them at half past three the day before they go back to school!

8. 7th September 2011 / 9:42 pm

She definitely looks shellshocked, a sort of ‘what are you doing to me?’ expression. My own back to school photo was disastrous, I put it on FB not my blog. My request to the children to stand together led to two of them lying down on the floor, I had to yank one up again but the other refused. Disastrous. At least I brushed their hair though ; )

9. 7th September 2011 / 10:08 pm

Well that sounds like the most perfect school holiday. Flea’s hair says it all – I bet she had an amazing time. Oh to be 6! 🙂

10. 7th September 2011 / 10:26 pm

Aw, thanks – she does get a great colour in the sun. Secretly, I hate her for this. Just a bit.

11. 7th September 2011 / 10:26 pm

Oh, breakfast in a cup is a tradition round these parts…

12. 7th September 2011 / 10:27 pm

Ah, Flea has to have the buttons for her blazer.

13. 7th September 2011 / 10:27 pm

Aw, thanks – I’m quite keen on her!

14. 7th September 2011 / 10:28 pm

Tsk. We’ve found in the past because we have to buy from the school if we leave it last minute there’s none in Flea’s size – fortunately not a problem this year as I just took the chance everything from last year would still fit!

15. 7th September 2011 / 10:29 pm

I saw your photo on Facebook – it is a classic! I have one a bit like that from Flea last year, rolling on the floor like a lunatic.

16. 7th September 2011 / 10:29 pm

I know – I think she truly had an awesome summer, school must seem a bit of a letdown, I think!

17. susie@newdaynewlesson
    8th September 2011 / 3:48 am

She looks happy and beautiful. You are doing a fab job I think.

18. Nikki
    8th September 2011 / 1:17 pm

What a fabulous holiday for you both Sally. Been balancing wfh with the kids home all summer too – bar our three trips away! Now looking forward to managing workload a little more reasonably and not having to lock myself in the bathroom to receive journalist and client calls 🙂

19. Mezzo-Soprano
    13th September 2011 / 3:44 pm

I bet that Flea was thrilled!