The Fridge of a Bad Parent

Wednesday was Flea’s last day at school before the holidays, and like most kids I’m sure, she came home with a selection of items related to Mother’s Day including a laminated picture of me (looking alarmingly like the Angel of Death) with a list of reasons “Why I love my Mummy” on the back.

Reason number 2 why my daughter loves me?

“Because you cook me lovely meals.”

Hmm, I sense some teacher involvement went into this particular project, given that Flea mostly survives on a diet of cereal bars, pasta and pesto, and sandwiches, along with a vast array of fruit dotted around the kitchen for grazing purposes.

003

In fact, when I looked into my fridge today, I noticed that I seem to be alarmingly short on actual food. Turns out my fridge contains:

•  2 jars of pesto and a bag of fresh pasta (staple foods)
  •  Salad and salad dressing
  • Apples and Strawberries
  • 24 cans of Diet Coke
  • 15 bottles of beer
  • 4 bottles of water
  • Fruit juices
  • 1 bottle of Prosecco (you never know when you might be celebrating)
  • Cheese, tomatoes, butter, mayo (for sandwiches)
  • Soup (sent by a nice PR person)

I am concerned this may officially be the fridge of a BAD Mother. It occurs to me that apart from pasta and pesto, there is very little in the way of ingredients in my fridge. Because I almost never cook.

Because I’m a masochist, I want to know whether I am a BAD parent, or whether you guys are just as bad at doing proper shopping as me. So I’m challenging Pippa, Vic, Emma and Jen to show us their fridges, too.

Go on. I dare you.

(anyone sniggering at my slightly OCD need to have all the Coke cans facing the same way should feel ashamed of themselves. It’s cruel to mock the afflicted, you know)

1. 7th April 2011 / 10:28 pm

Do I spy Purple Grape juice? I LOVE that stuff!

2. Vic
    7th April 2011 / 10:31 pm

I was more interested in the 15 bottles of beer than the direction of the coke cans!

3. Jess
    7th April 2011 / 10:54 pm

As fridge’s go, it’s clean and well-ordered – so in two ways, it’s already a damn sight better than mine. What’s the Coors Lite all about, though?

4. Jess
    7th April 2011 / 10:58 pm

(Sorry about that atrociously misplaced apostrophe. I feel so ashamed right now.)

5. 7th April 2011 / 11:16 pm

Oh dear. Let’s gloss over that, shall we?

6. 8th April 2011 / 1:55 am

Nothing wrong with pesto – nuts, cheese, herbs and (in our case)tomatoes. It’s as good as a day at the health farm, practically.

7. 8th April 2011 / 2:43 am

Wow, so neat, so tidy, so professional with all your ducks “beers” in a row!!! I actually thought it was a photograph from flickr – you know “This is how a fridge should look” kind of a photo, till I read a bit further!!! Just goes to show beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder!!!

8. car accident injury
    8th April 2011 / 7:03 am

Being involved in a car accident is a traumatic event. Not only is there the physical damage that may occur to your vehicle, yourself and the other people that are involved in the car accident, but there is also the psychological trauma of being suddenly thrust into an unexpected and dangerous situation.

9. 8th April 2011 / 7:42 am

I hate to say it but that is alarmingly like the contents of a fridge I would imagine a man to have (except for the strawberries). No offense meant…

10. 8th April 2011 / 8:47 am

Lord. And you had the temerity to have a go at me and my kind for buying the odd Fruit Shoot.

11. 8th April 2011 / 9:08 am

see I look at your fridge not in judgement but in jealousy. The very idea of having a whole shelf dedicated to Diet Coke is actually bringing me to tears.

12. 8th April 2011 / 9:10 am

I know. I like to think of it as being charmingly inconsistent.

13. 8th April 2011 / 9:11 am

So, basically, you’re saying I’m a man. *flounce*

14. 8th April 2011 / 9:16 am

That is the most beautiful, orderly fridge I have ever set eyes on. It is a masterclass in stacking.

15. 8th April 2011 / 9:20 am

I would say that’s an impressively low alcohol/food ratio. Me, I get resentful when we have any food in the fridge … it’s taking up valuable wine space.
    (Oh, and my fridge currently contains mostly champagne and caviar. Which makes me sound like I lead a far more glamorous lifestyle than I actually do. It’s not really relevant, but I just wanted to get it in 😉 )

16. 8th April 2011 / 9:32 am

The tidiness is awe-inspiring. Where are the geriatric plastic boxes with a few spoons of something goopy in them? The wilted stuff? The exciting new things from the supermarket that weren’t so interesting when you get them home?

17. Emma
    8th April 2011 / 11:13 am

Cannot.stop.laughing.

18. 8th April 2011 / 10:40 am

I forgot to “thank you” for this tag. Got a few words I could use on you, but I won’t… instead I have just posted pictures of my fridge for you. Oh and what is on top of your fridge?!

19. 8th April 2011 / 10:42 am

This is like the best reply to a post about things in a fridge ever. Are they saying your fridge will cause car crashes? Are they saying that your fridge looks like it has been in a car crash? So many questions and so little interest to anyone.

20. 8th April 2011 / 12:27 pm

Oh I hope there is still bear next week, or should I just bring some, along with my own tea bags? I also have a separate drinks fridge – whoa get me!

21. 8th April 2011 / 12:55 pm

I was going to comment on the coke cans until I saw your point at the end(!). All I will say is that they remind me of another post you wrote about mugs, if I remember correctly. You seem to have accidently bought too much beer. I do that too.

22. Aly
    8th April 2011 / 4:52 pm

My fridge is much tinier than yours *weeps*.

23. 8th April 2011 / 4:12 pm

I’m very jealous of your fridge actually – it looks so nice and tidy. Mine probably has things that went out of date last year in there 😉

24. 8th April 2011 / 4:51 pm

I’m intimidated by how tidy your fridge is…

25. 8th April 2011 / 5:04 pm

That is impossibly glam – I’m intimidated, just a bit.

26. 8th April 2011 / 5:04 pm

Those things being in your fridge imply you’ve cooked, though.

27. 8th April 2011 / 5:05 pm

I did post about my mug cupboard. I’m working my way around the house, in search of blog material, obviously 😉

28. 8th April 2011 / 5:05 pm

It’s a slightly compulsive thing, I have to admit.

29. 8th April 2011 / 5:05 pm

Everyone knows, it doesn’t matter how big it is, it’s what you put in it.

30. 8th April 2011 / 7:35 pm

Wow, that is very tidy and I’m impressed by the amount of beer! But where are the millions of opened, half used jars? I thought they were compulsory in every fridge?!

31. Nikkii
    8th April 2011 / 8:36 pm

JUST the coke?? You faced off your whole fridge woman!

32. 8th April 2011 / 8:04 pm

Wow! Super tidy and super cool fridge. This is a fridge I can aspire to. Reminded me that I must clear mine of lurking tupperware and wilted veg – not a good look for a fridge to be rocking.

33. Ali
    8th April 2011 / 8:15 pm

Can you come and organise my fridge ??? 🙂

34. 8th April 2011 / 8:24 pm

There may be some beer. There may not. I make no promises.

35. 8th April 2011 / 8:25 pm

You need to do proper shopping to have the jars in the first place…

36. 8th April 2011 / 8:25 pm

I have an aspirational fridge? The world is a strange place.

37. 8th April 2011 / 8:25 pm

I could but once invited in to organise something, I might never leave.

38. 8th April 2011 / 8:50 pm

OMG someone who does more coke than me! I used to drink it in cans but lately turned to 2 litre bottles. I don’t know why I don’t get it put on a drip and be done with it.

39. 9th April 2011 / 12:07 pm

See, I don’t think it tastes the same in bottles.

40. Kate Takes 5
    11th April 2011 / 10:49 pm

This is strange. I’ve had to go back through about 6 blogs to get to the source of this meme! Only reason is that just today I was thinking should I do a vlog about the contents of my fridge….and hey presto the blogosphere is awash with fridge pics. Odd indeed.

41. Pingback: The Fridge of a Bad Parent | glowstars.net