When Reviewing Goes Wrong

Being a parent blogger's ace, isn't it?

People just queue up to give you free things to try out with your kids. Brilliant!

Except when it goes wrong.

This week, we've been testing a new CD and storybook combo for kids called The Bush Tales. The basic idea is that it's a series of stories about animals in the African bush, and various legends about how the giraffe got so tall, how the lion got its roar, that sort of thing.

The CD features West-End stars singing with full orchestras, so this is a huge step above your typical kids' music CD. And there's a lovely eco and ethical element underlying each of the stories, and there are some great morals. But I should warn you now, sad stuff happens in the Bush Tales.

I think I've mentioned before that Flea is quite sensitive to music, and sad music in particular. So this is Flea in our car today after listening to the song about Serafina the cheetah, and how she came by the tear marks on her face:

Flea Clip from Sally Whittle on Vimeo.

1. 17th October 2010 / 7:15 pm

Oh Sally, this has me in bits! She is adorable and very very perceptive

2. 17th October 2010 / 7:31 pm

Oh my gosh – she is the cutest little thing ever!

3. 17th October 2010 / 7:33 pm

oh no, that’s heart breaking!! Sob….bless her heart xx

4. 17th October 2010 / 8:06 pm

“Just wait a minute…”
    Adorable. Your little girl just broke the internet’s heart. <3

5. 17th October 2010 / 8:08 pm

Oh no. We’ve received these too! Thanks for the warning.

6. 17th October 2010 / 8:11 pm

Bless her…that nearly made me cry!

7. Bumbling
    17th October 2010 / 8:34 pm

Oh my. Too cute. Break my heart, why don’t you 😉

8. 17th October 2010 / 9:28 pm

With my two it’s books rather than music which might move them to tears. Most recently we’ve been reading Heidi and B was upset by part of it but was trying to hide how she felt – so it gave us a good opportunity to talk about being honest about how you feel (especially with your mum). Classic fairy tales are said to be good for children as they expose them to big ‘life issues’ within a safe framework. I think letting children experience sadness in books and music is the same – in small doses, with a grown-up there to talk it through, it helps them learn to deal with emotions. So I don’t necessarily thing this went wrong – just perhaps not what the PR expected 😉

9. 17th October 2010 / 9:56 pm

She almost made me cry! Bless her heart.

10. 17th October 2010 / 10:10 pm

What a sweetheart! Bet she’ll be bringing home every stray cat and injured bird in a few year’s time (if she doesn’t already!!) 🙂

11. 17th October 2010 / 10:38 pm

Oh Sally – that is just priceless! And the way she goes to open the tissues – how could you not have hugged her right there in the middle of it all?! I LOVE FlEA x

12. 18th October 2010 / 10:09 am

Ahhhhhh, what a lovely sensitive girl, thanks for sharing. Tel;her I am 37 and i cry at sad songs too ;0)

13. Pants With Names
    18th October 2010 / 10:12 am

Bless her! What a little angel. Love that she goes to get the tissues.

14. 18th October 2010 / 11:17 pm

What a sweetie. She seems so tiny yet so grown up and wise. I nearly reached for the tissues myself…

15. Caroline
    19th October 2010 / 4:43 am

She is so gorgeous! You must be such a proud mummy.

16. 19th October 2010 / 7:17 pm

Oh that is just too cute and sad and she is so ladylike with her tissues 🙁

17. Limertilly
    20th October 2010 / 12:42 pm

oh, that is just so sweet – i’m a lot like her, any old sad music makes me cry – i once sat through a performance of The Lark Ascending where i just cried from the moment the strings started to the moment it finished – couldn’t help myself. and i was sitting about 6 feet from the violinist – she saw me crying and felt bad, but i told her afterward that i was crying because of how beautiful it was.
    anyway, back to the adorable Flea – she’s so lovely, and so grown up! the tissues! *wants to give her a hug* and i love that she’s so free with the emotion – i think that’s a very good thing.

18. 23rd October 2010 / 2:49 pm

oh Sally she is so adorable. So grown up yet still such a little girl.