What I Did This Weekend

Toy Story This weekend, we were invited to a
preview screening of Toy Story 3 by Disney Interactive. Flea adores Toy Story –
the moment in the first film where the toys come to life almost blew her socks
off. So the opportunity for a sneak peek at the movie was just too good to pass up.

Toy Story 3 is just as funny and warm as it was 15 years ago.
There are plenty of laugh-out-loud moments – unlike the new Shrek film, which is tedious, slow and hugely disappointing.

The introduction of Ken as Barbie’s new beau was hilarious – I laughed out loud when they both say, simultaneously: “It’s like we were … made for each other.” And Buzz’s Spanish interlude is genuinely witty.

My one observation is that this is probably a film adults will
love more than their kids. After all, how many kids’ films include subtitled
sequences AND references to Hayao Miyazaki?

The film has some genuinely touching things to say about
growing up and moving on, and not forgetting those you love, and leave behind.
I defy anyone not to shed a tear during the climactic scene, where the toys
find themselves heading to the fiery abyss of the incinerator.  And the final scene, where the toys actually
do move on, had every adult in the room in floods of tears – although most of
the kids were blissfully unaware.

I came out of the film an emotional wreck, and feeling like I wanted to cherish every day with Flea while she’s young enough to appreciate it.

Unmissable.

Flea and me

1. MrsW
    4th July 2010 / 7:57 pm

Oh I wish you’d posted this earlier! I just blew £36 on cinema tickets and assorted popcorn and fizzy stuff to see Shrek 4 and it was utter pants. Big pants with no gusset – I think I sniggered once. Thank gawd it’s the last.
    I’m panicking about missing Toy Story 3 – it’s already out in the US and we go on hols before it’s out here – I just hope there’s still some cinemas showing it when we get over there :/

2. 4th July 2010 / 7:26 pm

I was sorry to miss you Sally, but it sounds like you and Flea had a wonderful day. There’s nothing funnier than monkey bums (apart from farts, obviously. Well done for following your heart, and I hope to meet you some time soon.

3. Heather - Notes From Lapland
    4th July 2010 / 7:36 pm

oh cool! I love Toy Story, wasn’t blown away by the 2nd one, shall keep an eye out for the 3rd when it comes out over here!

4. 4th July 2010 / 7:42 pm

Sounds like you had a much better day with Flea 😉
    We just had a family weekend away and all things mobile and internet were banned all weekend. It was so relaxing and the kids absolutely loved getting our full attention. We played games and went swimming and everything was about spending time together as a family.
    We all loved the weekend and can’t wait to do it again so I definitely think you did the right thing.

5. Nikki
    4th July 2010 / 8:19 pm

As it should be Sally, sounds like you had an awesome day 🙂
    Quite fancy seeing the film myself now!

6. MrsW
    4th July 2010 / 9:32 pm

Awful – my OH actually fell asleep (he’s so shaming!)

7. 4th July 2010 / 8:57 pm

I think Flea’s with you on the monkey bums.

8. 4th July 2010 / 8:58 pm

I agree the second was disappointing – but the third is amazing. The (heterosexual) man I was with said it made his all-time top 5 films, high praise indeed.

9. 4th July 2010 / 9:00 pm

Yes, I’m taking an extended break from blogging over the summer – Flea has nine weeks of holiday so I don’t know how I’d fit any blogging in even if I wanted to! It’s good to remember that sometimes it’s worth chucking out the plan and going with the flow.

10. 4th July 2010 / 9:01 pm

Oh God, Shrek was TERRIBLE, wasn’t it? I was so, so bored.

11. 4th July 2010 / 9:21 pm

Can’t WAIT to see it. My boys, especially my 3.5 year old absolutely love it and, especially “Buzz Lighter” as he calls him.
    Good call on the zoo. It’s good sometimes to remember what it’s all about, in the end. x

12. 4th July 2010 / 11:12 pm

Hands down one of your best posts ever- especially those last 96 words!

13. 5th July 2010 / 1:22 pm

Good for you. Bet Flea will remember the day when she’s older.

14. 5th July 2010 / 1:54 pm

Yes, although it looks as though everyone had a fantastic time and the event went brilliantly, I’m glad I had that day with my daughter, really.

15. 5th July 2010 / 7:50 pm

the best days are always the ones that are led by your smile.

16. 5th July 2010 / 8:05 pm

We love Toy Story (that We is me & OH) & I’ve told him what you’ve said about the film & we’re going to go & seeit rather than waiting for the dvd!

17. 5th July 2010 / 8:16 pm

I decided some time ago not to go to cybermummy. There were a few reasons but the main one was that I love weekends to be family-time. We didn’t do much – pottered in the garden, read the papers and chatted while our son had his mates round to play.
    In between keeping the boys fed and watered I had a whale of a time hosting a #notgoingtocybermummy virtual party on Twitter. Lots of bloggers popped in during the day: we started with coffee and muffins then the gin came along, followed by pool boys rubbing suntan cream in, Twister and a karaoke. Made lots of new Twitter friends and kept tabs on what the real conference was up to! All that, plus I had a happy husband and son, which meant I was content too.
    (Apologies for long meandering comment. So glad you enjoyed the zoo with Flea and your chap)

18. Aly
    5th July 2010 / 8:58 pm

Thanks for for the heads up on Shrek 4.8 yo is meant to be going as a class trip towards the end of term and I’ve already said no (meant to tie in with the school medieval project) and now you’ve given me another reason for him not to go.I had fun #notgoingtocybermummy too and I had no hang over or a long trip half way across the country with 2 yo to contend with (not that I would of drank).I think you made a wise choice going to the zoo too.

19. Vonnie
    6th July 2010 / 10:33 am

(Long time reader, first time poster) I’m sorry to have missed you, but I’m so pleased that the day was special for you and Flea. Good for you!

20. 8th July 2010 / 3:14 pm

Yeah, I opted to go shopping with my mum in Florida instead of Cybermummy!! It was her birthday after all so what was I to do!
    That movie made me cry geat big tears! Was fab though! And, yes, enjoy every minute you have with her.