Magical Moments of Parenting #205

Image: Flikr/Coxy Flea’s school recently brought in a nurse to talk to the children about hygiene and teach them how to wash their hands.

It’s easy to be cynical about that sort of thing, but I can see she really washes her hands differently, to make sure she gets between her fingers, and the backs of her hands. She’s also learned about germs. “They are so small you can’t see them but if they get in your nose or mouth, they make you poorly,” she tells me.

The lesson has been absorbed so well that when I came down with a cold this week, Flea withdrew bedtime kiss privileges: “You may squeeze me, Mummy, but I will not kiss you if you are poorly.” I know, you can just feel the love, right?

One area where we’ve always been careful with cleanliness is Flea’s skin. She’s got eczema so we’re careful to apply creams to her breakouts (“lurgies”) before they get infected.

On the way home from school today, I told Flea we needed to stop at Boots so I could get some medicine. Being cold season, it was busy at the pharmacy counter, when I asked for my decongestant. “Is that your medicine, Mummy?” asked Flea. I told her, yes, it was my medicine. She paused. “And did you get some cream for your lurgies?”

I swear the whole line of women behind me took a step backwards.

Sally is a full-time blogger and founder of the Tots100, Trips100, Foodies100 and HIBS100 communities, along with the MAD Blog Awards. She spends a bit too much time on the Internet. She’s also a very happy Mum to Flea, the world’s coolest ten year old.

1. Insomniac Mummy
    4th November 2009 / 10:58 pm

I shouldn’t laugh…..
    😀

2. 4th November 2009 / 11:57 pm

Being a complete dirt phobe, I do have my worries about all this. All these children (mine too) worrying about dirt – OCD is much worse than a touch of the flu.

3. 5th November 2009 / 3:55 am

That is slightly worse than my daughter’s recent boob comment at the Stressco’s checkout. They time these comments well!

4. 5th November 2009 / 6:33 am

I love the word lurgies, we have those in TheMadHouse. MaxiMad tells everyone mummy has happy pills – thanks Grandma. Never tell children any medical woes. They are forvever wsnting to look at my scars, they think they are cool!!

5. 5th November 2009 / 8:58 am

brilliant. we were recently re-infested with lice and amid all the scrathcing daisy said “we must be nice though if they want to live with us”. bless. i couldn’t concur. i was too busy scratching.

6. 5th November 2009 / 1:48 pm

Giggling here – it’s happened to me so I feel so very happy when I gear it happens to others; I know I am mean 😉

7. 5th November 2009 / 9:32 pm

Chuckle, chuckle! I can only imagine what those women behind you were thinking.

8. 5th November 2009 / 11:27 pm

@Insomniac Mummy – laugh while you can, your turn will come.
    @Mwa – oh, we had a Labrador when Flea was born. We’re not germ-phobes since the day I realised they shared biscuits.
    @Rosie – did I miss that??
    @MadHouse – happy pills – love it! What are they really?
    @Mummymania – ugh. Hard to be happy about lice!
    @Brit – so lucky!
    @Tattie – It’s goot to know it’s not just you, though!
    @MT – I bet you can imagine, missus. I, of course, have no idea.

9. 6th November 2009 / 9:49 pm

At the moment I’m constantly getting snotty kisses…not pleasant!