The Movie Project

Ferris-bueller Back in January, I made a New Year’s Resolution. Not to go to the gym or floss more regularly or anything even remotely self-improving. No. My resolution was that in 2009 I would watch 100 movies I’ve never seen before.

We’re now just past the halfway mark, and I’m on the hunt for more movie recommendations.

I’ve made a pretty good start but I’ve fallen a little behind since April – partly because I’ve been sidelined by some TV box sets (True Blood – OMG  it’s amazing) and partly because work has been so chaotic.

I’m also a bit short on inspiration, frankly. Which is where you come in, lovely readers. What movies should I definitely see? What classics or little-known gems would you share with the world?

I’m open to most things. For context, my top three movies of all time would probably be Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Jules et Jim and Ferris Bueller. But I can’t deal with horror movies. At All.

For reference, here's my 2009 movie viewing so far:

Zoolander
Star Trek
The Beat that My Heart Skipped
Che Part I and II
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Let The Right One In
I’ve Loved You So Long (seriously, I cried for about two hours)
Napoleon Dynamite
Duck Soup
Run Lola Run
The Hangover
Thirteen

The “good but not exactly cheery” list

Changeling

Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist
The Boat That Rocked
Son of Rambow
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
He’s Just Not That Into You
The Spiderwick Chronicles

The “There’s two hours of my life I’m never getting back” list:

Mamma Mia
Knowing (did the scriptwriter have an aneurism halfway through??)
Monsters versus Aliens (I blame Flea)
Night at the Museum
Bride Wars

1. 31st July 2009 / 7:28 am

I’ve been thinking about doing a post like this.
    My recommendations are:
    The Sure Thing – best 80’s teen comedy ever
    some Kind of wonderful – best 80’s teen romance ever
    Gregory’s Girl – best 80’s scottish teen comedy romance ever
    Muppet Movie – best muppet movie ever
    and Muppets from space – second best muppet movie ever.

2. 31st July 2009 / 9:11 am

I am sat in front of my husband’s wall of dvd’s so here we go, some suggestions for you:
    Spirited Away (or in fact anything by Studio Ghibli)
    Wanted (bit gory in places but super-cool thriller)
    Stardust
    The Science of Sleep (if you don’t mind something a bit avant garde)
    Sunshine
    Garden State (subtle and steady but beautiful)
    The Prestige
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    The Butterfly Effect
    Lars and the Real Girl
    There you go – should keep you going! x

3. 31st July 2009 / 1:52 pm

Hiya
    you have to see (if you haven’t already)
    Shaun of the Dead
    Hot Fuzz
    Crash
    Goodfellas
    Point Break
    Benjamin Button
    Forrest Gump
    Matrix
    Saving Private Ryan
    Toy Story
    Finding Nemo
    Four Weddings & A Funeral
    Bridget Jones’ Diary
    Amelie
    These are some of my all time favourites, but have you also tried those books: A 1000 movies you should watch before you die? They ate great for some inspiration!

4. 31st July 2009 / 7:22 pm

@Dan – we may have similar taste as I think I’ve seen all those!
    @Porridgebrain – Spirited Away is good isn’t it? I’ve added Garden State to my Lovefilm list as I do quite fancy that – thanks!
    @Brit in Bosnia – I can’t be friends with someone who doesn’t like Dirty Dancing. True Fact.
    @Flugl – I do have that book but it makes me feel too inadequate so it’s now on the bookcase in the spare bedroom!

5. Claire Boyter
    31st July 2009 / 7:46 pm

Amelie
    Big Fish – a fabulous movie about a father and his son by Tim Burton.
    Harold and Maude – one of the best soundtracks and referenced in Something About Mary as one if the greatest love films of all time
    O brother where art thou
    Spy Game (Pitt and Redford-need I say more)
    Life is beautiful
    Shine
    The Dish
    Leon – one of the best films of all time. A very young Natalie Portman
    V for Vendetta
    Singing in the rain – surprisingly funny. Good comedy.
    I could keep going but these are the first few I could think of.

6. Deb@carrotsandkids
    31st July 2009 / 9:19 pm

These are favourites in our house and are by no means intellectual but you could watch with Flea (mostly):
    Cheaper By The Dozen
    Wizard of Oz
    101 Dalmations (original cartoon version)
    The Italian Job
    Sliding Doors
    Finding Nemo.
    Actually that list is probably rubbish!

7. Deb@carrotsandkids
    31st July 2009 / 11:04 pm

Definitely the original with Michael Caine.

8. 31st July 2009 / 10:38 pm

Not rubbish at all – Cheaper by the Dozen is one of my guilty pleasures!
    Flea’s mostly scared of Disney movies except Toy Story, for some reason. But I’m definitely up for Italian Job – which version is best?

9. 1st August 2009 / 12:28 pm

I like that you have so many that you enjoyed. A very positive list.
    I’d better not give you any recommendations. I have notoriously bad taste in films.

10. 2nd August 2009 / 10:03 am

Mwa – now I’m intrigued. How bad?
    My ex used to say “Sally doesn’t get films” because I almost died of boredom watching Rashomon (an examination of ‘truth’ and rape set in Medieval Japan), which he thought was AMAZING. So it’s all subjective, really.

11. 4th August 2009 / 3:13 am

I’ll second Pan’s Labyrinth and also V for Vendetta, but definitely Pan’s Labyrinth.