Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day…

Flea enjoying a balanced diet. So, you know those things that you think *everyone* does … until, one day, an entire room falls silent and you realise – no, actually it's just you?

We had one of those moments today.

Being a bad busy, working mother, I know the drive to Flea's pre-school takes precisely 9 minutes. It should take 7, but the average age is in Lytham is about 95, so there are a lot of slow drivers to contend with.

This means Flea and I can wake up at 8.35am, get dressed and be in the car for 8.51am. The nine minute journey is ample time for Flea to eat her breakfast (usually some cereal with raisins or blueberries) and still get to pre-school ahead of circle time.

However, school broke up a fortnight ago (wretched private schools) so Flea's moved to a day nursery for the summer. Crucially, the nursery is only 6 minutes drive from the house. This morning, we woke up and got dressed as per the usual schedule, and Flea got her cereal and took it to the car. But the timing was all wrong, and she was only halfway through the cereal as we pulled into the car park.

"Never mind, darling, you can have them later,"  I said, chucking Cheerios over the back seat and rushing her inside.

"But I haven't finished my breakfast," she complained, loudly enough for all the staff and other mothers dropping off their properly fed children to hear.

Eyebrows were raised.

I tried to pass it off as a one-off,  with a little laugh. "Oh, it's just one of those mornings. Flea had to have cereal in the car!" (Because every other day, it's toast and table linens, obviously.)

Then Flea chipped in: "Yes, when you have cereal in the car, you have to have it in a cup not a bowl, so it doesn't spill when Mummy drives fast, and you can't have milk. That's why I like cereal bars."

You could have heard a pin drop.

Turns out, not everyone gives their kid breakfast in a cup, in the back of the car. Who'd have thought?

1. Cari Parker
    15th July 2009 / 10:24 am

Haha, I have days like that – we usually have breakfast at the table while I make packed lunches but some days things just don’t go to plan and they end up grabbing some fruit to eat in the car. Our car journey takes 15 to 20 mins depending on traffic but they still manage to be munching as we park. Then you have the inevitable mucky faces to go with it – bad mummy alert!

2. rob
    15th July 2009 / 10:26 am

Great tip – might just use that one

3. 15th July 2009 / 12:57 pm

I had a ‘bad mother’ moment last week and my baby is only 5 weeks old!
    I was sat having lunch with some friends in a very busy coffee shop and had placed the car seat with baby sleeping in it on the chair next to me. 20 minutes into the conversation the car seat decided to slide off the chair onto the ground and land on its side accompanied by a very loud ‘oh my god’ by myself. The entire coffee shop went quiet – it was definitely one of those ‘you could have heard a pin drop’ moments. Happily baby was fine and slept through the entire thing but I felt terrible and like a very bad mother! I’m still reliving the incident a week later and chiding myself for potentially injuring my poor baby!

4. 15th July 2009 / 1:14 pm

Stefanie,
    Look on the bright side – at least the baby was in a car seat, a very sensible and safety-conscious decision, clearly demonstrating how capable and responsible you actually are.
    Also: anything you do in the first 12 weeks after having a baby doesn’t count. Literally. Sleep deprivation + hormones = absolute immunity from criticism.

5. 15th July 2009 / 3:04 pm

£75!!!! Oh my goodness!
    I consider extra minutes in bed to be essential, particularly since I have the good fortune to have a child who will naturally sleep until gone 9am every day if left to her own devices. Why mess with a winning formula, I say?
    Also, Milla, if we can agree on 34, I think you’re onto something…

6. 15th July 2009 / 3:41 pm

Sounds like a sensible routine to me. I’ve often wondered how working mums manage to get out of the house before 9am!
    Perhaps you’ll have to take the long route to nursery to give her the full 9 minutes!

7. 15th July 2009 / 8:04 pm

What an excellent solution to the breakfast dilemma and thank you for sharing. Makes my ‘toast in front of CBeebies’ routine seem almost civilised!

8. Christianne
    16th July 2009 / 12:56 am

Glad to know someone else gives kids breakfast in the car and have the journey down to minutes – lol

9. 16th July 2009 / 1:07 pm

I was only enlightend with the whole “breakfast in a cup” concept a few months ago – i stole the idea from john and kate plus 8 (the reality show in the states)and have never looked back – my husband isn’t too impressed though as i am very liberal with my cerealportions and never manage to clean up the mess the kids leave in the car oops!

10. 16th July 2009 / 1:19 pm

I knew…I just KNEW there had to be someone else who does cereal in a cup. Hurrah!
    (Although I’m slightly aghast that my parenting seems to be in line with Jon and Kate. That can’t be good.)

11. clareybabble
    17th July 2009 / 11:10 pm

I’m with Hot Cross Mum, breakfast for S is also toast in front of cbeebies! Today he delighted on shouting at the top of voice how hungry he was on the way to music class, only 5 mins after his toast!

12. 18th July 2009 / 9:59 am

No no no, WE do this, it’s OK, it’s really really OK!!!! And toast in front of Ceebeebies: Is There Any Other Way???

13. 18th July 2009 / 10:48 am

@Sparx – It means a lot to know I’m not alone!